- Source : Press Release
- Date : 2021-08-25
- Companies : Sysmex Corp.
Information About Judgment of the Litigation Against Sysmex Corporation and Its Subsidiary
This disclosure is intended to provide information about the judgment of the Dutch-Speaking Enterprise Court of Brussels, Belgium (hereinafter referred to as the “Belgian Court”), rendered on August 23, 2021 (Central European Time) to Sysmex Corporation and its US subsidiary Sysmex America, Inc. (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Sysmex”), in relation to allegations first disclosed on May 28, 2020 as detailed in the document titled “Information about Litigation against Sysmex Corporation and its Subsidiary”.
1. Court and date of judgment
(1) Court: Dutch-speaking Enterprise Court of Brussels, Belgium
(2) Date of Judgment: August 23, 2021 (Central European Time)
2. Overview of the plaintiff
(1) Name: Uniface BV
(2) Registered Office: Amsterdam, Netherlands
3. History of the litigation
Sysmex Corporation executed a software licensing agreement with Compuware in 2002, hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement”. Uniface, the plaintiff, subsequently acquired the assets of the Compuware including the Agreement, continuing to support Sysmex with licenses until January of 2020. The plaintiff filed claims in the Belgian Court in April of 2020.
4. Summary of the claim
The plaintiff claimed Sysmex owed payment of approximately 347 million USD (321 million Euro) due to alleged copyright infringement and alleged breach of contract.
(Note) The total amount of claim was approximately 324 million Euro at the time of filing of the lawsuit, but it has since been partly reduced.
5. Summary of the Judgment
(1) All the claims filed by the plaintiff were rejected by the Belgian Court.
(2) The plaintiff is ordered to pay a lump-sum of 72,000 Euro to Sysmex for the costs of the proceedings.
6. Next steps
The judgment rendered has rejected all claims against Sysmex. Sysmex is satisfied with the judgment, which has no adverse financial impact for Sysmex.