- Source : Press Release
- Date : 2018-11-12
- Companies : Kamada Ltd.
Kamada Reports Financial Results for Third Quarter and First Nine Months of 2018
REHOVOT, Israel – November 12, 2018 -- Kamada Ltd. (Nasdaq: KMDA) (KMDA.TA), a plasma-derived protein therapeutics company, today announced financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2018.
“While our revenue and profitability metrics were, as expected, meaningfully impacted in the third quarter by the labor strike at our Beit Kama production facility, for the first nine months of 2018, our operating and net profits were significantly improved from the same period last year,” said Amir London, Kamada’s Chief Executive Officer. “Based on our outlook for a strong fourth quarter, we are reiterating our revised full-year 2018 revenue guidance of $102 million to $108 million. For 2019, based on our projected production capacity and product availability, we expect total revenues in the range of $125 million to $130 million, which would represent an increase of more than 20 percent over anticipated full-year 2018 total revenue. The projected revenues for 2019 are comprised of approximately 80% of Kamada’s proprietary products segment and the balance is revenues of our Israeli distribution segment. The expected growth will primarily be driven by our increased sales of GLASSIA® and KedRAB® in the U.S. market.”
“During the first nine months of 2018, we generated operating income of $3.9 million, as compared to operating income of $1.0 million for the same period last year. In addition, we recorded $4.6 million in net income during the first nine months of 2018, a substantial increase over the $0.6 million of net income recorded in the first nine months of 2017. Our adjusted EBITDA of $7.4 million for the first nine months increased 71% compared to the same period of 2017. Moreover, we continue to maintain a strong cash position, including $44.9 million of cash and short-term investments at the end of the third quarter, which provides us with the financial resources needed to continue executing on our business plan,” continued Mr. London.
“Our development pipeline continues to progress. Following receipt of positive scientific advice from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use of the European Medicines Agency on the overall design of our proposed pivotal Phase 3 study for our proprietary inhaled AAT for the treatment of alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, we are finalizing a detailed plan for the clinical program, and preparing a Clinical Trial Application submission. In the U.S., we continue to advance our discussions with the Food and Drug Administration in order to reach agreement on the regulatory path forward for inhaled AAT as expeditiously as possible,” concluded Mr. London.
Financial Highlights for the Three Months Ended September 30, 2018
- Total revenues were $15.0 million in the third quarter of 2018, a 35% decrease from the $22.9 million recorded in the third quarter of 2017, due to the delay in product supply as a result of the now concluded labor strike.
- Revenues from the Proprietary Products segment in the third quarter of 2018 were $9.5 million, a 45% decrease from the $17.0 million reported in the third quarter of 2017.
- Revenues from the Distributed Products segment were $5.5 million in the third quarter of 2018, a 6% decrease from the $5.9 million recorded in the third quarter of 2017.
- Gross profit was $2.5 million in the third quarter of 2018, a $3.9 million decrease from the $6.4 million reported in the third quarter of 2017. Gross margin decreased to 17% from 33% in the third quarter of 2017, due primarily to a one-time loss of $0.8 million due to a loss of in-process materials and $1.8 million of overhead cost charges due to lower than standard production level in the third quarter, both of which are directly related to the labor strike.
- Operating expenses, including R&D and SG&A expenses, totaled $5.0 million in the third quarter of 2018, as compared to $6.8 million in the third quarter of 2017.
- Net loss was $2.4 million, or ($0.06) per share, in the third quarter of 2018, compared to a net loss of $0.2 million, or ($0.01) per share, in the third quarter of 2017.
- Adjusted EBITDA was ($1.4) million in the third quarter of 2018, compared to $0.8 million in the third quarter of 2017.
- Cash provided by operating activities was $1.0 million in the third quarter of 2018, compared to cash used in operating activities of $1.5 million in the third quarter of 2017.
Financial Highlights for the Nine months Ended September 30, 2018
- Total revenues were $66.3 million in the first nine months of 2018, a 1% decrease from the $67.1 million recorded in the same period of 2017.
- Revenues from the Proprietary Products segment in the first nine months of 2018 were $47.6 million, a 6% decrease from the $50.6 million reported in the same period of 2017.
- Revenues from the Distributed Products segment were $18.6 million in the first nine months of 2018, a 12% increase from the $16.5 million recorded in the same period of 2017.
- Gross profit was $20.2 million in the first nine months of 2018, a $0.3 million decrease from the $20.5 million reported in the first nine months of 2017. Gross margin increased to 31% from 30% in the first nine months of 2017.
- Operating expenses, including R&D and SG&A expenses, totaled $16.3 million in the first nine months of 2018, as compared to $19.5 million in the same period of 2017. This decrease was attributable to a decrease in R&D spending.
- Net income was $4.6 million, or $0.11 per share, in the first nine months of 2018, compared to net income of $0.6 million, or $0.02 per share, in the same period of 2017.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $7.4 million in the first nine months of 2018, an increase of approximately 71% compared to $4.3 million in the same period of 2017.
- Cash flow provided by operating activities was $4.2 million, compared to cash used in operating activities of $0.1 million in the same period of 2017.
Balance Sheet Highlights
As of September 30, 2018, the Company had cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments of $44.9 million, compared with $43.0 million at December 31, 2017.
Recent Corporate Highlights
• Concluded labor strike at Beit Kama production facility in Israel.
• Announced the extension of an ongoing investigator initiated, proof-of-concept study evaluating the potential benefit of the Company’s liquid AAT on liver preservation and transplant rejection prevention. Kamada is collaborating with Massachusetts General Hospital, which is conducting and funding a study to assess the effect of AAT on liver graft quality and viability, and to evaluate the liver graft for markers of Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury and tissue damage.
• Appointed Eitan Kyiet as Vice President of Business Development. Mr. Kyiet has over 20 years of experience in business development, strategic operations and corporate law, with a significant portion of his career spent in the life sciences industry. He will lead Kamada's
business development and strategic commercial activities, with a focus on advancing market opportunities for the Company's products.
Kamada management will host an investment community conference call on Monday, November 12 at 8:30am Eastern Time to discuss these results and answer questions. Shareholders and other interested parties may participate in the conference call by dialing 888-394-8218 (from within the U.S.), 1809-212-883 (from Israel), or 323-701-0225 (International) and entering the conference identification number: 7992586. The call will also be webcast live on the Internet on the Company’s website at www.kamada.com.
A replay of the call will be accessible two hours after its completion through November 27 by dialing 844-512-2921 (from within the U.S.) or 412-317-6671 (from outside the U.S.) and entering the conference identification number: 7992586. The call will also be archived for 90 days on the Company’s website at www.kamada.com.
click here to see the balance sheete
Kamada Ltd. is focused on plasma-derived protein therapeutics for orphan indications, and has a commercial product portfolio and a late-stage product pipeline. The Company uses its proprietary platform technology and know-how for the extraction and purification of proteins from human plasma to produce Alpha-1 Antitrypsin (AAT) in a highly-purified, liquid form, as well as other plasma-derived Immune globulins. AAT is a protein derived from human plasma with known and newly-discovered therapeutic roles given its immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, tissue-protective and antimicrobial properties. The Company’s flagship product is GLASSIA®, the first liquid, ready-to-use, intravenous plasma-derived AAT product approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Kamada markets GLASSIA® in the U.S. through a strategic partnership with Baxalta (now part of Shire plc) and in other counties through local distributors. In addition to GLASSIA®, Kamada has a product line of six other plasma-derived pharmaceutical products administered by injection or infusion, that are marketed through distributors in more than 15 countries, including Israel, Russia, Brazil, India and other countries in Latin America and Asia. Kamada has late-stage products in development, including an inhaled formulation of AAT for the treatment of AAT deficiency, and in addition, it's intravenous AAT is in development for other indications, such as type-1 diabetes, GvHD and prevention of lung transplant rejection. Kamada's rabies immune globulin (Human) product received FDA approval for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis against rabies infection in August 2017 and was launched in the US during Q1-2018. Kamada also leverages its expertise and presence in the plasma-derived protein therapeutics market by distributing more than 10 complementary products in Israel that are manufactured by third parties.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are statements that are not historical facts, such as (without limitation) statements regarding the company’s full-year 2018 and 2019 total revenue guidance, the optimism associated with the development plan for Kamada’s proposed pivotal Phase 3 study for its proprietary inhaled Alpha-1 Antitrypsin (AAT) and related regulatory path, as well as the progress of the collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital for evaluating the potential benefit liquid AAT on liver preservation and transplant rejection prevention.. Forward-looking statements are based on Kamada’s current knowledge and its present beliefs and expectations regarding possible future events and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Actual results and the timing of events could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements as a result of several factors including, but not limited to, unexpected results of ongoing clinical studies, delays in clinical and pre-clinical studies, additional competition in relevant
markets, regulatory delays, prevailing market conditions, and the impact of general economic, industry or political conditions in the U.S., Israel or otherwise. The forward-looking statements made herein speak only as of the date of this announcement and Kamada undertakes no obligation to update publicly such forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent events or circumstances, except as otherwise required by law.
Chief Financial Officer
LifeSci Advisors, LLC